Defend DACA and Immigrant Families #Faith4DACA
Please Join ICPJ in signing the With Dreamers Statement!
SIGN ON LINK: https://homeishere.us/with-dreamers-sign-up/
Excerpted from homeishere.us
Within the next few weeks, the Supreme Court is set to decide the future of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Since 2012, more than 825,000 undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States as children have obtained protection from deportation and work authorization through DACA. Nationwide, 1.5 million individuals live with a DACA recipient, including more than a quarter-million U.S.-born children who have a DACA recipient parent. Each year, DACA recipients contribute $566.9 million in mortgage payments and $2.3 billion in rental payments, and their households pay $5.6 billion in federal taxes and $3.1 billion in state and local taxes.
Like all Americans, DACA recipients are facing unprecedented new challenges during the coronavirus pandemic. And more than 200,000 DACA recipients–nearly one-third of the people currently protected by DACA–are working in industries and occupation groups that render them “essential critical infrastructure workers” based upon Department of Homeland Security guidance. At a time of universal fear and anxiety, the Supreme Court’s decision on DACA will be consequential not only for DACA recipients and their families, but also for communities around the country, and our shared prosperity as a nation. […]
To add your name, please complete the form. https://homeishere.us/with-dreamers-sign-up/
What congregations, organizations, and individuals in the ICPJ Network do before the SCOTUS’ decision:
- Urge SCOTUS to support DACA and delay decision.
- Write a letter to the editor/statement of solidarity/press release. Talking points can be found at: http://www.interfaithimmigration.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Faith4DACA-Pre-Decision-Toolkit.pdf
- Social media campaign:
- Record a video of support, and upload to Twitter with hashtag #Faith4DACA and tag Interfaith Immigration Coalition (@interfaithimm) and tweet to members of Congress.
- Post video also Facebook and Instagram with #Faith4DACA.
- United We Dream, on the day of the SCOTUS’ decision:
- 1 pm: Press call.
- 7 pm: Community call for DACA individuals. Text “dacadecision” to 877-877.
- 1 pm on the day after decision: National virtual rally for all DACA individuals and supporters. Text “dacadecision” to 877-877
- Email [email protected] to join listserv for updates.
- After the SCOTUS’s decision:
- Continue writing letters to the editor/statements of solidarity/press releases.
- Continue social media campaign.
- Create virtual space for gathering of DACA individuals and families for prayers and story-sharing.
- Hold a virtual law webinar for DACA individuals and families.
- DACA families to finalize a preparedness plan. See: https://www.ilrc.org/family-preparedness-plan